When I finally got my car, it did not appear the GPS was working properly...I'm starting to think it was just me...and I had to navigate to my bunkhouse to pick up my things without any real directions. To say this was a major accomplishment is an understatement. It wasn't that it was far...maybe a couple kilometres...but I was driving on the other side of the road and Hobart is full of one way streets that complicated things even more. Thankfully it was Sunday so the traffic was manageable and I didn't hit a single thing...only ran one red light! I finally arrived at my destination 30 minutes later, unharmed, but a bit unnerved.
Once I got the GPS working...I must say it was the most essential piece of equipment I could have ever rented for this road trip...I headed on my way. Being a Sunday some things I planned to see were closed...one being the Cadbury factory...so if I have time on my way back I may check it out. First stop was Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary...about a 30 minute drive away.
This was by far one of my main highlights so far...an informative and interactive experience with wildlife tucked away in the middle of nowhere. The first hour of my time here I did a tour to learn more about some of the animals; all rescued for some reason or other...lots due to injury from cars. The tour guide was incredibly passionate about the animals...in fact most of the caretakers had some of the animals at their homes for a period of time...now that's dedication!
During our tour we learned about the wombat, the Tasmanian devil and koalas...we even got to pet some of them! The wombat have a plate across their bum that is uses to block their burrow when predators try to enter...they can't feel a thing if scratched or bitten...crazy!!
The Tasmanian devil, which can only be found in Tasmania, is dying at a rapid rate due to a type of cancer called devil facial tumour disease...so much so they are on endangered list now.
I also learned that the life span of koalas that are held frequently...such as at some zoos...decreases their life span in half due to stress...very sad.
After having a good dose of information I spent the next hour or so checking out the rest of the area...including a large number of kangaroos...lots of pictures where taken here. With your admission you were given food to feed the kangaroos...what an experience! There must have been about 50 kangaroos in total and they all loved to eat.
You would just pull out your bag, put some food in your hand and they would feed right out of it...sometimes they would even grab your hand a bit with their huge claws. Incredible!!! You could also give them a rub on their chest which they loved.
Their was a variety of ages...even a baby feeding from it's mother...and they were all different sizes. They can get very big...and they are extremely muscular. At one point a motorcycle was travelling in the distance and scared them...the all froze and then all at one took off hopping away...what a sight!
After getting my dose of wildlife I decided to head on my way...reluctantly so.
As I was walking down to my car, a girl approached me looking for a lift to the bus stop in a near by town. As it turned out she was from Ontario and a first time traveller to Australia...or anywhere outside Canada...and bit "lost" or unprepared for Tasmania and it's lack of efficient public transportation. With my GPS in hand and my newly minted driving skills...all 30 minutes...we headed off in search of the bus stop. It was at this point that I realized how happy I was to have rented a car...all $550 worth of it!! After turning the windshield wipers on instead of the blinkers about four times in a row...but staying on the left side of the road the entire time... we eventually arrived unscathed at our destination. I dropped off a very grateful and relieved fellow Canadian...hope she made it to her next destination as planned.
It was about 4:00pm and time to head to my final destination of the day...Port Arthur. Did I say how much I love having a car??? With the tunes turned up, my GPS leading the way...although I did get a bit turned around on some of the roundabouts; also another challenge when going in the opposite direction...I was able to enjoy a leisurely drive through the country side.
Along the way I came a cross an apricot U-Pick so I thought I would stop to pick a few for the road...$2.5/kg. It was a huge orchard and I had no idea how to tell the good from the bad apricots...although I think I found a few good ones. Apparently there were several varieties of apricots and mine turned out to be "red orange"...pretty descriptive name! Felt just like being home in the valley picking apples.
Back on the road and about 20km outside Port Arthur I came across some interesting signage and some beautiful views....gotta love some of the signage here. Hoping to explore a bit more tomorrow.
I arrived at the Port Arthur Holiday Park around 7:00pm...my accommodation for tonight. It was a nice little park...fully booked out...with lots of people relaxing around their fires, having BBQs and a few drinks. My bunkhouse slept 8 in four sets of bunk beds...very basic...but as it turns out I had the entire place to myself. Score!!!
I had picked up some food and wine along the way...love being a backpacker dragging your food in bags everywhere..and decided to have a BBQ. What a nice and relaxing evening...and the weather was fantastic. After dinner I took a little stroll around the park and came across several Tasmanian Pademelon hopping along the track. Wasn't sure if I should be weary of them or not...lots of warning signs around about them...but I think they were just as inquisitive as I was.
The wifi was down, so I organized some of my things after dinner and then fell fast asleep by 9:00pm...I must have been more tired than I thought from the last two days of touring around...vacations are exhausting!
Looking forward to visiting Port Arthur Historic Site tomorrow and seeing what exciting things transpire.
Until then....















Sounds like you are having a great time.
ReplyDeleteMom
Definitely!!
Delete